Sunday, February 10, 2008

We've got to get ourselves back to the garden

Church was especially awesome today even though we were late. People came up from the audience to read pieces of Psalm 32 while our church's house band played a smokey bluesy song that reminded me strangely of CSNY's Woodstock. Interestingly enough, the readings lead into a sermon on Genesis and the Garden of Eden, and the song has a line something like: "We've got to get ourselves back to the garden." I've always thought that was possibly (at least in my interpretation, not necessarily CSNY) a biblical reference to wanting to leave all the bombs and wars and mess of a world behind for paradise where it all began. A place that where pain, hunger, and suffering were never part of the plan. Can you imagine? Someday, my friend.

Spent the afternoon sans kids (thank you Shawn and Jenn!) We were supposed to go see Love Janis at the Alley, but naturally it was the last show and had been sold out for weeks. Whoops. We took our yucky Pei Wei (I've vowed to never eat there again) across the street to eat by the waterfalls and then went and saw Charlie Wilson's War at the Angelika. Great movie with fantastic writing. Philip Seymour Hoffman was ridiculously good.

Then we met over at Shawn and Jenn's for sushi. Rick almost got mauled by a neighbor's dog, who actually turned out to be super cool. The neighbor, not the out of control dog. The kids played and watched a movie. Jenn and I drove over to the awesome Fiesta in their hood. Imagine beautiful produce, raw and organic food at Fiesta prices, it was a recipe for a party for me and Jenn. We even thew in a girl bawling sisterhood bonding time in her car, when I had a little breakdown.

All I can say is that my Bible study is kicking my butt and I'm seeing myself in a whole new light. It's good and it's bad, but it's nothing God can't fix. A little Jesus goes a long way.

No comments: